Every stage of life has key records you’ll need to keep accessible as you and your family members progress through the milestone seasons of life. Whether you’re a student pursuing a high school diploma, middle-aged work refining your financial plan, or older pursuing a much-anticipated retirement, you’ll have records you’ll need more frequently throughout the seasons of life. Here are some documents to keep safe whether you’re a kid or a kid at heart.


Children, teenagers, or young adults will need to have their immunization records safe for enrolling in school, no matter their level of education. These records are vital for first-time enrollment in kindergarten, enrolling in a new school after a move, or for college when residing in a dorm. Parents, keep your minor child’s immunization records in a safe and secure place, ideally with your own.

If your older child is ready for a driver’s license or is considering enrolling in the military, they will need to keep these forms of ID with them at all times. Your child should never drive without their physical license with them. Teaching new drivers a photo of their license on their mobile devices is not enough for identification purposes or to prove they have driving privileges if the police become involved. US Military service members need their military ID handy for identification both on or off base.

If your child has a passport, be advised to keep on top of their renewal date, as passports for minors expire after only five years. Before you take that family vacation overseas, take the time to check if your child’s passport is still valid.

Middle Age

As you age, new age-appropriate records will need to be retained in your files. These records include your education records, such as your medical licenses, advanced degrees, professional certifications, and any proof of continuing education credits to keep your license for certain professions. You’ll also need to keep a record of your most recent tetanus shot and your Covid vaccinations.

If you’ve recently married or divorced and changed your name, visit the ssa.gov website and place a request for a new social security card sent that reflects your new name. You can also replace a lost social security card at the same link.

In the event of a divorce, keeping your divorce decree where you can easily access it will help to know when child support will end or to prove a name change or that you can legally remarry.


When you’re a senior, you’ll accumulate even more vital records to keep safe, both for yourself and for your family in the event of your passing. If you’re between the ages of 62–65, you’ll need documentation to apply for social security benefits.

Keep your Medicare and Supplemental insurance card secure to avoid snags with your healthcare treatment or if billing issues arise. Your pension benefit eligibility records need to be kept in an accessible place to claim them more easily once you’re eligible. If you were in the military, procuring your DD-214 record is helpful when claiming veteran’s benefits.

If you’re about to renew your driver’s license, any records of a recent eye exam might be needed as evidence that you’re still fit to drive. And if you have purchased any cemetery plots, burial sites, or cremation services, be sure to tell your family and loved ones exactly where you keep these records, as they’ll be the ones who’ll need them when the time comes.

Keeping Records For Kids of All Ages

At the end of the day, you’ll want to make sure every member of your family has a complete set of vital records according to their age, their needs, and their season of life.

At Organized Instincts, our seasoned team of daily money managers will help you navigate school registration, change your name, or apply for Social Security income or Medicare that much easier. To better know what records you’ll need to keep for your stage of life, schedule a free consultation today.